Part of the Application Process is the Entrance Examination which is scheduled for 9:00 A.M. on the designated days in the Practical Nursing Department. The Examination is offered year-round.
There is an Application Fee of $50.00 which covers the cost of the Entrance Examination and the Application. Payment should be returned with the Application and paid by cash, credit/debit card, personal check, or money order made payable to the Practical Nursing Program. The Application Fee is non-refundable.
In addition to the Entrance Examination, the following materials are required to be considered for admission:
- An Official High School Transcript (grades 10, 11, and 12) with the school seal affixed mailed to the Practical Nursing Program by your high school Guidance Department.
- If you did not graduate, a copy of your G.E.D. Diploma and Scores from the Department of Education from the State in which you took the G.E.D. test is required.
- All applicants must not have any felony convictions on file.
- All ESL (English as a Second Language) students are required to successfully complete the TOEFL Exam (http://www.ets.org/TOEFL).
- Two (2) professional references.
- Good physical and emotional health, as determined by the required medical physical examination.
- State Police, FBI and Child Abuse Clearances.
- Pre-Entrance Interview with Practical Nursing Coordinator or Instructor if deemed necessary.
Additional materials and information may be requested.
STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS:
The Practical Nursing Program of the Wilkes-Barre Area Career & Technical Center does not discriminate against individuals with special needs. If an applicant/student has a medical, physical, or learning impairment, the individual should provide the appropriate documentation to the Director of the Practical Nursing Program. This information will not be used in any way to determine your qualifications for admission into the Practical Nursing Program. All information provided is voluntary, and will remain confidential and used only by the Practical Nursing Program in order to make accommodations to meet the individual’s special need.
It must be noted, however, that the National Council on State Boards of Nursing identifies specific attributes/activities that are essential to function as a nurse. The prospective student is referred to in the Student Handbook for a list of these attributes.
If you have any questions, please call the Practical Nursing Department at (570) 822-6539, and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your interest in the PRACTICAL NURSING PROGRAM of the Wilkes-Barre Area Career & Technical Center.
The Wilkes-Barre Career & Technical Center Practical Nursing Program is fully accredited by the PA State Board of Nursing and accredited by ACEN.